Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Wanderlust Wednesday: Montalegre, Portugal [2016 Edition] - Day I

Today is Wanderlust Wednesday, where I talk about awesome places I’ve had the pleasure to visit and explore, as well as share some photos of my experience. This time, I’m dedicating this post to my latest weekend trip to Montalegre in the very north of Portugal. I had already been there once, on an academic field trip in April 2011 and promised myself I'd go back one day (that's what I did!). I wrote two other Wanderlust Wednesday posts on that trip, you can see them here and here.

This weekend away was initially D.’s idea as, a couple of weeks ago, news sources were reporting lots of snow in the inland villages and mountains. As people who have always lived near the coast, he has never seen snow in his life and it’s been roughly over 20 years since I experienced it myself. He quickly suggested a weekend away in one of those places and I mentioned Montalegre. He ended up booking the soonest possible weekend in a local hotel.

We arrived the town of Montalegre around lunch time on Saturday. The bad news? There was absolutely no snow to be seen and D. was, obviously, a very sad panda. Even though I felt a little bad for him since I was the one who chose our destination, we did our best to enjoy our trip to its fullest even so. Apparently all snow in the country had already melted away, anyway. In terms of weather, Saturday was a lovely day with clear skies, even though temperatures were pretty low especially in the evening. We spent the afternoon wandering the village and paying a visit to a local museum, as well as the castle for obligatory pictures. The village itself is wonderful, located on top and the slope of a hill, surrounded by mountains of green pasture fields and forests of native trees. That was basically our view from the hotel room’s window. I can’t even imagine how wonderful it must be to wake up in a cold winter’s morning and find those mountains, fields and forests completely covered in white, like the news had shown just a few days before.



Second (and best) part aka Day 2 to come next week... :)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...