Saturday, May 17, 2014

How to make: Sea Urchin Ring DIY



Hey there! It's been a very long time since my last tutorial now, hasn't it? I don't know about there, but it's been pretty hot around here... summer is just around the corner! Not sure if it's the rising temperature or the simple fact that I miss that time of the year, but I've been hearing the ocean calling to me lately.

Remember that summer post of mine about cleaning and preserving sea urchin shells? (It's been almost an year already, can you believe that?) Well, I still had my shells from that tutorial and thought, why not make something pretty out of them. So the sea urchin ring idea came out! If you're a fan of ocean mysteries and treasures then I'm sure you'll want to give this DIY a try. Go ahead and have fun! :)


Sea Urchin Ring Tutorial


MATERIALS:
- 1 clean sea urchin shell
- 1 ring base
- stampings and/or embellishments
- some cotton
- E6000 or any other kind of adequate glue


If your sea urchin isn't clean yet and you're not sure of how to do it, follow my tutorial on how to clean and preserve sea urchin shells to get yours ready for the project.

This first step is optional, but because sea urchin shells are very fragile, I like to stuff mine with cotton in order to give them a little more protection. Slip some cotton through the largest hole (ie, where its mouth used to be) and glue a piece of filigree to the same area, followed by your ring base. If your ring base has a large pad, enough to cover the entire hole, the filigree piece may be unnecessary. Just make sure that the mouth is fully covered. Let it dry for a couple of hours.

As a final step, glue a couple of embellishments to the top of the shell. Be creative and have fun with it, again making sure that the top hole (a lot smaller than the mouth) is fully covered. Allow to dry.


And, that's it! Sea urchin rings look pretty, whimsical and unique... and they're so easy and fun to make. I remember I sold a few of these back in Wilwarin Designs- maybe I'll bring the design back to Terra Mystique, with a new little twist? Who knows. :)

PS. When working with E6000 or other industrial glue, make sure to open your windows or work in a well-ventilated space! Glue vapors are harmful!


I hope you enjoy this tutorial on how to craft your own sea urchin ring. If you try it, feel free to share your experience and final result in the comments below!

Nevertheless, have an awesome weekend, and enjoy the good weather if you're able to!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...