Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wanderlust Wednesday: Alto Douro Wine Region, Portugal


Haven't written about wanderlust for a while now! Except for that academic trip barely a moon ago, I haven't had the chance to feed my wanderlust since the peak of Summer. So today I'll talk about a 
place I've visited a while ago, although an unforgettable one: the portuguese Wine Region of Alto Douro.


The Alto Douro Wine Region is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, reflecting specific techniques of sustainable land use, those of both the past and the present, alongside a set of significant natural habitats typical of a Mediterranean environment. It represents a unique example of people’s relationship with the natural environment as a monumental combined work of nature and man. It is also one of the most ancient winemaking regions in the world; the whole landscape of the Alto Douro is gracefully reigned by vineyards to produce the acclaimed Port wine. The AUTHENTIC one.
I've been to the Douro Wine Region twice in the last few years. The second time was last March, in a rainy day of late Winter. But not even the moody weather can dissipate the beauty of these mountains.


The best time of the year to visit this region is, for sure, during late Autumn, when the slopes of the mountains are covered by amazing reds. I've been there for the first time exactly 3 years ago and we could already notice some hints of Fall hues. Also, the sun made it even better!

 
I can't lie and say I'm not any proud of having a place like this less than a two hour drive away. Although I love the seaside, there is something about the rural, mountainous landscape that simply thrills me. Also, this is such an unique place in the whole world. So if you ever get the chance to visit Portugal, make sure to spend a day or two admiring the views of Alto Douro and tasting some wine!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...