Monday, September 2, 2013

How to Make: Natural Flavored Water


It's time for another Summer DIY! September has arrived but the temperatures have risen again around here. I have been, although, slowly keeping myself away from soda, which seems to make me even more thirsty- not to mention their harmful chemicals and ridiculous amount of sugar. Instead, I've been going for alternative, healthier drinks. There are some healthy ways to keep myself hydrated during hot days like these, like water and fresh fruit. So why not combine both?


I have been trying these out and love them! There are two different flavors of this "spa water" in my fridge at the moment and something tells me I might be trying other combinations soon enough. They're really quick and inexpensive to make and a great pleasure to savor! So, in this blog post, I'll be sharing my procedure to make natural fruit and herb infused water in two different combinations: watermelon + rosemary and blackberries + peppermint. You can, however, combine pretty much any fruit and herb according to your own taste and create your own combos. So grab your favourite fruits and herbs 'cause I'm not giving up on Summer just yet!

1. Watermelon & Rosemary Infused Water


Add a sprig of rosemary to your jar or pitcher and muddle it a little bit. Rosemary will release a strong flavor so there is no need to bruise it too much. Next, add a handful of watermelon cubes (without seeds) and press gently to release some juice. Fill the jar or pitcher with ice cubes and add water to the top. Slightly stir it, cover and refrigerate.

2. Blackberries & Peppermint Infused Water


Same procedure! Add fresh mint leaves to your jar and bruise them a little to release some flavor. Add a bunch of blackberries (I picked mine in the woods near the house I used to live in) and press to release some of the juices. Fill the jar with ice cubes, add water, stir, cover, refrigerate.

You can drink your natural flavored water right away or wait 1-2 hours for the flavor to intensify. If properly covered and kept in the fridge, they can keep up for 3 days.
Also, be aware that these are NOT sweet waters, but simple water with subtle flavors, with little or no sweetness at all. However, if you find them insipid or quite undrinkable without any kind of sweetener, go ahead and add a teaspoon of sugar or honey! They will still be healthier than a single can of soda, which may contain up to ten teaspoons of refined sugar.


Enjoy your own natural spa water! :)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...